About Us

History

Cadillac Hall 1916

The Notre Dame garage was built in 1916 to house the first automobile that the University owned – a Cadillac given to University President Father J.W. Cavanaugh. The University Chauffeur at that time was Johnny Mangan, the overseer of “Cadillac Hall” for forty years. Since 1916, there have been only three University Chauffeurs – Johnny Mangan (1916-1956), Carl Paris (1956-1976), and Marty Ogren (1976-2016).